History of the Church

History of the Church (Key Dates)

 1855 (23 October)

Foundation stone laid by The Bishop of Oxford Samuel Wilberforce. The land was purchased by the Hulme sisters, Emily and Maria

1857 (2 December)

All Saints Boyne Hill completed and dedicated by Bishop Samuel Wilberforce

George Street designed the complex of buildings born out of the Tractarian Movement. He designed a building that had beautiful surroundings for the celebration of the Eucharist and to enable worship for all people to the glory of God. Following the mission of the Tractarians, a vicarage and school were built, the latter offering education for the young. Later the Almshouses were built for the needs of single women.

1857-1876

William Gresley  -  First Vicar of All Saints

1858 (6 April)

Her Majesty approved the assignment of "The District Chapelry of Boyne-hill" to the consecrated Church of All Saints, situate at Boyne-hill, in the parish of Bray........ (This was published in the April 10th 1858 SUPPLEMENT to the LONDON GAZETTE - a pdf copy of downloaded, here.)

1859

The Clergy house completed for curates to offer pastoral care in the parish

1862

The Almshouses built with money from Miss Frances Mary Lamotte. Rules and regulations for the residents drawn up on All Saints Day 1862

1865

Tower and Spire added with the benefactors being Emma and Frances Mary Lamotte

1876 - 1917

Arthur Hislop Drummond  -  Vicar

1889 (4 November)

Consecration of St. Paul's Church, North Town Road, daughter church of All Saints (now demolished)  

1904 (October)

Replacement of All Saints Gas Lighting (Three Gas Lamps in each of the North and South aisles and Two at the High Altar) by Electric Lighting, the installation of which was paid for by an anonymous donor

1907 (1 November)

Jubilee of the church celebrated in the presence of Dr Paget, the then Bishop of Oxford. Idea mooted that the Jubilee Memorial should be marked by an extension to the church

1910 (11 July)

Foundation stone for the extension laid by Lady Desborough

1911 (9 February)

Dedication service for the extension (addition of the West End and Vestry with extension of the chancel and choir stalls) by the Bishop of Oxford

 

1916 (July) 

Spire, church and vicarage hit by lightning. Damage costs met by the Ecclesiastical Building office

1917 - 1919

Walter Alexander Thackeray  -  Vicar

1919 - 1944

William Stow Mahony  -   Vicar

1921 (February)

Dedication of the War Memorial and Calvary garden

1922 (July)

All Saints bells re-hung in a steel frame

1927 (October)

Introduction of Central Heating

1931 (June)

Dedication of reconstructed and enlarged organ

1937 (July)

Extra higher level shelf fitted to men's desks in the Choir, the men of the Choir being responsible for the cost with one member doing the work without any charge

1944 - 1956

Eric William Perkins  -  Vicar

1947

John Betjeman the poet and high Anglican spoke from All Saints pulpit

1956 - 1982

Alfred Henry Michael Ware  -  Vicar

1965

Creation of the wooden altar canopy

1982 - 2004

Norman John Brown  -  Vicar

2005 - 

Jeremy Michael Harris  -  Current Vicar of All Saints

2007

150th anniversary of the church

Powered by Church Edit